how to live, travel and explore the world from your van

VANABODE Forum

Author   Comment  
Ruby

Hi J, I bought your book about seven months ago, read it and have since continued to learn how to escape the rat race. I finally convinced my boss to let me work from home and start next month (I sell insurance). The only thing keeping me from traveling is my second job that requires me to stay put. The biggest problem I will probably face is the heat (I live in Florida). Forcing myself out of the condo to rent out for extra income I am now scrambling to find ways to provide a/c or stay cool especially with the summer coming up. With you having previously lived in Brevard County, I figured you knew some info on local places to stay for dry camping, parking lots, hotels, etc. Or give some info on staying cool in Florida year round. Thank you for your time and hope.
journeyman

Administrator

Well you know from reading Vanabode that the right way to escape this issue is to not fight it at all. Reread the weather chapter again for how I do it. Meantime I suggest the following if you are staying put for now.

Reduce your debt and overhead as explained in the book so that you can leave the second job altogether and travel at will not needing that second income. Then you can go (and work if you want to) in places that are cooler in the summer.

If you MUST stay in Florida for now year round or choose to for reasons not explained in your email, I would consider these strategies. First, find someone who has a house and pay them $100 a month to park in their yard and plug in a portable small AC unit you can buy from Walmart for about $130. OR stay at one of the many cheaper rv parks around for the hot months of May to August and plug in there.

If you are "working from home on your insurance business" you can hang at one of the many great libraries in Brevard County and reclaim some of the taxes you have paid all your life into the "system" by enjoying the AC all day for free.

Truckers use a special 12 volt cooling system that MIGHT (I have never tired it) work. see it here - http://www.swampy.net

SOME people claim that you can buy a bag of ice ($2) put it in a plastic tub next to the bed and use a 12 volt fan to blow air across it as you sleep to cool you down. I have not personally done this as I do not stay in muggy states during summer. Sleep is a VERY important element of the Essentials of a Great Life as explained in the book in detail, and so I make sure I am comfortable year round.

I'll be very interested in hearing from Vanaboders who do travel to hot climates and can share ideas about keeping cool and dry. 

I am a scuba diver, snorkeler, swimmer, lover of ocean gazing, and a kayaker, and all but the latter 2 need to be done in hot climates.  That means I'll want to spend considerable time in all the states with warm ocean waters. 

How have others solved the problem? I DO need to be able to sleep comfortably.

Jason Odom

As of the East Coast trip in 2014 we did put a bag of ice ($2) put it in a plastic tub next to the bed and used a 12 volt fan to blow air across it to cool us down - see the book for 99 cents for sale from this page -

http://www.vanabode.com/travel/east-coast-road-trip.htm

You could also use AirBNB or Craiglist to find people that will let you park at their house or garage and plug in a small portable ac unit (they cost about $300 from Sams Club - NOT the window ac's the ones that stand upright and vent via a small hose)

Thanks, Jason.  I will start watching for good prices on a portable AC unit, as my idea of heaven is an isolated spot on the beach where I can stay for weeks or months.  That, with the roof vent, sounds like the best solution for me.

I've just this year learned about AirBNB and a couple of similar programs, including some work/stay offerings.  If I use any, I'll share my experiences.

Vanaboders:  If other travelers have tried and true ideas from your own personal experience, please pass them on.

Thanks!

Stayed in fla last summer it was butal hot. I stay up at friend's houses or my parents until late then i would go iut and start my van and run the ac to cool it down. I have a mini swamp cooler and a fan. Put ice water in a hot water bottle and take a sleeping pill.
carole steinberg

Also its always cooler near the beach
Souleem

When I was enlisted in the US Army at Fort Benning, Georgia, someone advised to remove our t-shirts, dip them in cool water, or spray with water, then wring out excess water and put back on, which worked well to keep me a bit cooler for a while.

Similarly, a Nevada desert camper advised to soak a sheet in water, or spray it with water, and spread it out with a fan pointed at it in front of my bed/sleeping bag and it will keep me cool. I have not had an opportunity to test this idea yet, so cannot vouch for it, but am hoping it might help someone in desperate need.

Souleem
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

click to buy Vanabode which shows you how to happily live, travel and camp in your van forever on $20 a day

Home     Contact Us     Copyright © 2007-2011      Privacy Policy      Terms and Conditions      Media Press      Affiliate