how to live, travel and explore the world from your van

VANABODE Forum

Author   Comment  
skief

Hi Jason, I read your reply here: http://forums.vanabode.com/post/window-screens-6552532?pid=1279751665 where you say that the single roof vent is all you've ever needed for cool fresh air. Still, I'm curious to understand more about how it works, and wondering whether dual vents would be worthwhile.

On page 102 of the Vanabode book you write, "The picture shows the vent in the raised position with the fan running to pull cool air inside and expel hot air."

Does that mean you are running the fan as an intake and allowing air to be expelled through open windows and/or doors? Or vice versa, running it as an exhaust fan and allowing air to be sucked in through open windows and doors?

What happens when it's time to close windows and doors for the night? Or if there are a lot of flies and insects so windows and doors have to be closed during the day? Does ventilation suffer?

Do you think there would be much to be gained by installing two roof vents, one wired as intake, the other wired as exhaust?
jasonodom

Jason Odom
Ours only ran one direction but you can get them to go both ways for a little more money. With the AC in the NON circulating mode as we shut off the van it leaves an opening under the dash somewhere for the air to flow into the van. When we needed more air flow we would leave a window down a half inch. So yes if you want to be completely sealed up WITH maximum air ventilation TWO vents would do it better than my setup. Don't put them too close or they will recirculate only the air between them and not the air all over the cabin.

Aha, the non-circulating AC intake! Clever! I never thought of that!

However, if you sometimes found a slight window opening was needed too, then maybe I will still consider the double roof vent. And you're right, I'd want one at the front and one at the back -- not too close together!

Cheers
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

click to buy Vanabode which shows you how to happily live, travel and camp in your van forever on $20 a day

Home     Contact Us     Copyright © 2007-2011      Privacy Policy      Terms and Conditions      Media Press      Affiliate