how to live, travel and explore the world from your van

VANABODE Forum

Author   Comment  
skief

Jason, do you have an opinion of the Ram ProMaster? This seems to be in a class of "modern-looking" vans, along with the Transit and the Sprinter. Do you suppose their stealth value is much different than that of the Chevy Express? I worry that they would attract more attention, and that is the main thing keeping me from buying one.

One good thing is that there seem to be a lot of ProMaster enthusiasts out there, and even a forum http://www.promasterforum.com They discuss things like solar and batteries there, and I want those for working long hours on my laptop. Otherwise I want to keep things as simple as possible, in the way you've described in the Vanabode manual.

To be precise I am considering the "low roof" ProMaster, which is 4 to 6 inches higher than the Chevy Express on the outside, while offering an additional foot of headroom on the inside. Still not enough to stand up straight though, if you are taller than 5'5".
jasonodom

Jason Odom
After a casual glance at the specs I don't see why that vehicle would not work for you. I am considering moving to a higher ceiling vehicle because we are getting too old to be bending over -  ha! If you are not going to be in parking garages and doing big city drive thru's a LOT then go with a higher top you can stand up in (not for storing more junk). Nothing will be as stealthy as what I recommend in the book and that will be true until at least 2025 when they all die off.

Yup, as I drive around town and see old Ford and Chevy vans everywhere I go, I can't deny that those have supreme stealth value. : ) However, I went with the ProMaster this week anyway! I was looking at used, and only found a low-roof ProMaster, but again that's still 5'5" of interior height, and that's pretty good. I am planning to spend most of my camping time out in the woods, with maybe a little bit of city camping, so I think this van will serve me well. Thanks for your advice!
4321Dud

Just my 2 cents worth: for taller drivers, the leg room is really quite limited in the Ram Promaster. In addition, the reported ground clearance is 6.9 inches. Not awful, but the Chevy Express gives you a little bit more at 7.1" (rear).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

click to buy Vanabode which shows you how to happily live, travel and camp in your van forever on $20 a day

Home     Contact Us     Copyright © 2007-2011      Privacy Policy      Terms and Conditions      Media Press      Affiliate