CuriousTraveler
I don't want to leave my kayak at home!  I can kayak at so many of the places I'll go--oceans, rivers, lakes, marshes.  Like my scuba diving, it gives me two vacations for the price of one. 

Does anyone have any idea how to camouflage a 12-ft. kayak on top of my van when I want to do stealth camping?  Obviously I could just get a cover to fit it, but I don't want it to look like a kayak--it should probably look like some kind of work gear.

Has anyone done this?
Sherry
0 0
jasonodom
Remember STEALTH camping is for those that need it, when they need it, where they need it. It is not the GOAL of Vanabode travel. If you are paying someone to park and plug in a small portable AC while in a hot muggy climate like FLORIDA there is no need for stealth. Also there are hundreds of Walmart's in Florida and I have never seen one yet that would kick you out (if well behaved) for parking over night. Take your kayak anywhere you wish. But I can tell you this there is a little known river along highway 192 that runs up into the city a few miles to the college through towns and forest, its a lot of fun and you can park for free at the marina. We have seen baby alligators and manatees every time we have went. If you want to spend $15 to $30 the CHARTHOUSE on that same river where you park (marina) will serve up the best waterfront dining (get salad bar for sure) I have had in Florida.
0 0
CuriousTraveler
Thanks, Jason!  Your advice is very helpful to me.  I want to camp (or at least sleep) free most nights, so I'll start searching for free legal sites.  Your note and your book gives me hope that I can find many places to sleep, even in parking lots, where the kayak won't matter.  Thanks for the encouragement.

I won't need AC in Florida in the winter time.  I've spent hundreds of hours canoeing and camping on Florida's scenic rivers between November & March when it is cool, with low humidity and no mosquitoes.  I lived in South Florida for decades, 10 years in the Florida Keys.  One of my favorite vacations was a 10-day, 150-mile canoe trip across the Everglades from Loxahatchee in the west to Flamingo in the east.  The camping was very primitive; the scenery and wildlife were gorgeous!  I loved it all.

I appreciate the tip about the river near Hwy. 192.  Are you referring to the Charthouse Restaurant and Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne on Crane Creek?  Is that the marina and river you describe?  It does look interesting on the satellite map.

Your book and forum answers have made me realize that I can start traveling sooner than I thought.  With the Vanabode idea, I have begun preparing today to use my minivan as a temporary shelter to "practice" the lifestyle while I clean out my numerous possessions and sell my house.  I don't have to wait.  After I've recharged my energy with some wonderful trips,  I can come back, finish preparing the house to sell, turn off the utilities, and give the key to the real estate agent.  Then I'll be off on my great American adventure.  When the house sells, I can buy the van you recommend and continue. Thank you!

Since you've inspired me so much, I'll tell you that I will be 69 years old in November, and have dreamed for years of going to Costa Rica to live for a year or more, and maybe doing the same in several other Central and South American countries.  But, several things prevent that.  I am overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, and stage III kidney disease, plus I badly need a total knee replacement.  I can't walk very far, and not at all without a hiking stick.  Walking is painful and awkward.  So, I've been desperately trying to lose enough weight to have the knee surgery (I exceed the weight limit for the artificial knee).

Today, you've made me realize that I can stop putting off my dream!  I'll see what I've missed in America first.  I'll take my first trip soon, get the kinks worked out, learn what I really need, and start traveling more.  I believe I can lose weight living in beautiful places where I can walk on sand, swim, do aquarobics, and breathe! I can then have my knee surgery in a hospital along the route somewhere, stay a couple of weeks in a rehab/nursing facility, then schedule my physical therapy for the next 2 months or so wherever I happen to be.  If I can't drive until the therapy is finished, I'll hire somebody to park my van in the physical therapy parking lot!

I hope you realize how much you have inspired me, Jason.  I'm off now to do the next item on the planning list I started right after reading your book yesterday at 3:00 a.m. . . .

Sherry
0 0
jasonodom
In my opinion the other countries don't offer many advantages over the US, I would simply skip them and concentrate on the big, gorgeous, cheap and easy to travel through AMERICA!. Yes you have the location for my recommended kayak trip correct - I assume you have done Blue Springs, Rock Springs, and the Ichnetucknee and Econolocahatchee?
0 0
CuriousTraveler
I agree with you and I will!  No, I haven't kayaked those rivers but have done the Peace River, the Loxahatchee, the Suwannee, the Withlachoochee, and considerable ocean kayaking and mangrove meandering in the Florida Keys. 

My kayak is set up for fishing and scuba diving, and even overnight camping.  So I'm eager to catch up with what I've missed in Florida, then move on to all the other states. 

Sherry
0 0

Home     Contact Us     Privacy Policy      Terms and Conditions